Motor Vehicle Registration

Motor Vehicle Registration

Vehicle Registration Information   All satellite city halls will be CLOSED to the public until

Vehicle Registration Information


Motor Vehicle Registration

All satellite city halls will be CLOSED to the public until further notice, effective March 25, 2020.


Vehicle Registration Renewal

Use one of the Hawaii DMV Now Kiosks located inside certain Safeway stores to quickly and securely renew your vehicle registration.
The kiosk will print out your new registration card and license plate emblem immediately after paying for your renewal.

DMV Now kiosks accept credit and debit card payments only. You must meet the same requirements to renew at a kiosk as to renew online.


For Hawaii DMV Now Kiosk locations, click HERE

DMV Now kiosk b
You may also renew your vehicle registration:

  • Online provided that your City and County of Honolulu address is correct and no supplemental forms are required (safety inspection certificate, location certificate, CS-L (MVR) 50 or 50A, etc). All on-line renewals are to be made by credit card only (VISA and MasterCard are accepted).

    To renew your vehicle registration on-line and for more information, go to HONOLULU’s On-Line Vehicle Registration Renewal System.  (Only credit and debit cards are accepted for on-line registration renewals.)


  • By mail to: 

    Division of Motor Vehicles and Licensing
    P.O. Box 30320
    Honolulu, Hawaii 96820-0320

    (When mailing the registration application to you, the City provides a self-addressed envelope).



When paying by mail or in person, the following payment types are accepted:

  • By cash, check (drawn on U.S. funds), money order, traveler’s check, or cashier’s check. There is a $25.00 service fee for returned checks. 
  • Visa, MasterCard, or Discover credit cards or debit cards are accepted at the following satellite city hall locations: Ala Moana, Downtown, Hawaii Kai, Kapalama, Kapolei, Pearlridge, Waianae, Wahiawa, and Windward. There’s a 2.35% service fee.

Annual fees based on the vehicle weight and usage.

     please click HERE to calculate the fees.


Moped Registration Information


If you are a registered owner of a moped, you will need to have your moped registered and safety inspected annually.

For more information, click HERE.


Registering New Vehicles Bought from Oahu Dealer

When you buy a new vehicle on Oʻahu, the dealer will probably have it registered and licensed for you. But if this service is not provided, this is what you must do:

  • Fill out an Application for Registration, Form CS-L (MVR) 1, which must be signed by you, the registered owner(s) and countersigned by a licensed Oʻahu vehicle dealer.
  • Submit a current Hawaii Vehicle Inspection Certificate.
  • If you are an active duty service member stationed in Hawaii and a non-resident of this state, you must submit the Non-Resident Certificate, Form CS-L (MVR) 50, available from your military personnel office or your military unit.

The required fees will be determined by vehicle registration or Satellite City Hall personnel.

Out of State Permit – must have the following

  • Current Out of state registration
  • Shipping document (Bill of Lading)
  • Fill out CS-L (MVR) 27 form (out of state permit application form)
  • Current Hawaiʻi Vehicle Inspection Certificate 

In lieu of Out of State permit – RO must produce the following for vehicle currently registered out of State


General Information


Registration records of all vehicles in Hawaiʻi must be updated annually.


Annual fees are based on the vehicle weight and usage. They are computed by the Division of Motor Vehicles, Licensing and Permits. You may calculate the fees that will be charged by visiting the Honolulu Motor Vehicle Fee Inquiry site at:

The deadline for registering vehicles is the last working day of the expiration month of the current registration. However, if the registration expiration date occurs on a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday, the delinquent renewal penalty fee will not be charged until after the next working day.

A penalty will be assessed if fees are not paid on or before the expiration date. The penalty shall be an annual flat rate of $16.00 ($8.00-County Weight Tax penalty and $8.00-State weight Tax penalty) for the passenger rate and $40.00 ($20.00-County Weight Tax penalty and $20.00-State Weight Tax penalty) for the commercial rate.

Make checks payable to: City and County of Honolulu. Proof of Hawaiʻi motor vehicle insurance is required to obtain a vehicle inspection, and the vehicle inspection sticker and certificate are necessary to operate a vehicle on all Hawaii roads and for all vehicle ownership-registration transactions.

Non-resident active duty military personnel must submit a properly completed Non-Resident Certificate, Form CS-L (MVR) 50*, for each registration, renewal or transfer transaction.

Hawaii residents on active duty and members of the  National Guard and Reserve and who are assigned to units located in Hawaii are exempt from motor vehicle weight taxes for one vehicle registered in their name.  You must submit a properly completed Hawaii Resident Certificate, Form CS-L (MVR)50A, for each registration, renewal or transfer transaction.

*Form CS-L (MVR) 50 and Form CS-L (MVR)50A is available from your military personnel office or your military unit.

For members of the military with access to the office located on Joint Base Pearl Harbor Hickam, motor vehicle registration appointments must be scheduled online. Please click here to make your appointment using our online scheduling system.


Source Article